Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Double Exposed Portraits

Double Exposed portraits are my next project in my GT class, so some info is needed. First of all, portrait photography is when the picture is only half of the subjects face, or the outline of one side of the subject's face. Silhouetting uses profiles and is an image of a person, animal, object or scene that's a single color, usually black, like a shadow.


If you don't want to read this entire paragraph you can just look on how to create double exposures in photoshop by these links- 1 2 3. Ok, to create double exposed portrait images, there are a few steps you need to take. The first step is of course taking your photos. Once you get three photos, (One being a portrait picture and the other two being your other pictures) you need to open up all of your images and adjust the exposure to a way that you feel looks right. Then, you need to dodge the image. Use the dodge tool photoshop has provided and outline our portrait picture with it. After outlining it, fill in everything except the portrait you outlined with the dodge tool. After dodging the portrait picture, it's time to drop in your first image. Let's say for the sake of me telling you the steps, it's a picture of a tree. So after you drop in the picture of the tree, Click the blend mode drop-down menu at the top of the layers panel and choose "Screen" to blend the trees with the portrait. Then your hit command/control+T to enter the free transform mode. Once you're in there, use the bounding box to rotate and resize the layer to find an angle that you think is well put and covers all of the portrait. Once you do this, hit enter to apply it. Next, you need to tone the image. To do this, you click the Create New Adjustment Layer icon in the Layers panel and choose Gradient Map. Then you go in the Properties Panel, click the gradient preview drop-down menu, then click the cog icon and choose Photographic Toning. Once you're in there, adjust the options to create a mode that suits your image. After you get everything done, your image should look amazing and nicely blended together.







You would want to make these images to bring out some symbolism in you. Maybe you would want to show your interests in a creative way. Or maybe you just want to experiment in photoshop on what you can do. For example I used pictures of some sheet music and drums because more than half of my life revolves around music. I play a couple instruments; traditional taiko drums, drums (like in the picture), ukulele, a little piano, and I sing. So that's why I chose to take pictures of those pictures... yeah. I also like how you can see the song title "Music in My Soul" just wanted to put that out there.
  

19 comments:

  1. Awesome! I really like how it clearly shows your love for music. One thing you can do would be show more of your face. Also, I really like how you can still see what's in the "negative space".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Haley! I love how both of your symbols have a common theme. Your message definitely works because I can see both of your symbols clearly. I think one thing to improve would be your background, because I can kind of see some stuff in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sick! I love your drum sets and your notes, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great usage of the words on the top, I also like how the drum set is going across your head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! I really like how clearly we can see the music notes and the drums! Very nice Haley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely describes you, isn't that a chorus song from Mrs. Lardizabal?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! Keep up the great work! I can clearly see your message. Maybe just get rid of that puffy white spot. Good Job altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how your drums shows off in the background. It looks very musical. The message is well received because it shows that you love music and your music score really matches your personality. Hahahahaha. Gotta know how to play that song! One thing I would improve to get rid of the lines and the pillow in the bass drum kinda looks like it's out of focused. Hope you can sing in the talent show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the texture in your negative space. Your images are easy to see, and they symbolize who you are. Overall, you have a nice final product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Job! Your final and draft are amazing! I really like your two symbols and how they relate to each other and yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love your symbols, you can clearly see them. I like how you can see the drums in the background as well. Great final product!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the music notes throughout your body!
    Your message does work because you can see the music notes and the drums.
    I think to improve your final images you could take away that white spot at the bottom. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great photos and i love the "music in my sole" hahah amasing over all great photos

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think its cute, I can clearly see both your photos... Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work Haley! I love the position of the sheet music.
    I think your picture could improve by making the drums smaller so you could fit the whole set inside of you.
    Awesome work though! I can see how much work you put into this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although we're commenting mainly the Multi, the other photo is just amazing! The photos could be arranged (but it looks cool!). But overall, the finished project is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog and multi exposure image great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job Haley!!!!! Your symbols can be seen easily and your adjustment layers match very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your symbolism is nice and I can tell you really enjoy music. Your message really went through, great job Haley!

    ReplyDelete

Soul Eater LogoCute Running Puppy